Innovating on a recipe from the land which is known for centuries as ni-han and je-pan which is the pronunciation of the 2 letter words that mean sun origin is not a piece of cake. Gyudonburi which means beef and bowl of rice is very popular and has basically 3main ingredients; rice, beef and onions. Few ingredients and a culinary culture based on traditional meticulosity, and high standards make it even more challenging to versionize this into a life loving foods version. For this recipe we will humbly say Douzo Meshiagare !
- In a microwave-safe bowl, prepare the crumble by mixing 40ml of water with 35g of plantypro.
- Press into 3 sausage shapes and flatten and cut into 1 cm slices. Press the slices between oven paper into flakes. Cook the flakes in the microwave at 900W for 1 min. OR place on a covered skillet over very low heat for 10 min. stirring once.
- Place the thinly sliced onions and the oil in a skillet and fry until tender.
- Pour a sugar, soy sauce and vinegar mix over the onions and add the plantypro flakes.
- Stir fry to coat the onions and flakes evenly with the sauce.
- Serve over a bowl of steamed white rice.